laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy - Reasons, Procedure & Risks
This is a surgical procedure which involves the use of laparoscopy to remove ovary cyst while still preserving the fertility of a woman. The procedure requires a small incision on your lower abdomen.
Reasons for laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy
Normally, Ovarian cysts do not show any indications. There are many possible reasons that your specialist might recommend you to undergo this procedure. Some of the reasons are mentioned below:
1. If the size of the ovary cysts exceeds 7 cm.
2. In the situation of ovarian cancer.
3. If the ovarian cyst is causing unbearable pain.
How it is done - Procedure & Steps
1. Before you arrive at the hospital, your specialist will give you a sedative. Generally, the patient is given general anesthesia to let you sleep during the operation.
2. The surgeon will then make small three to four incision just below your navel and insert the laparoscope through the umbilical cord.
3. Carbon dioxide is inserted through the incision to stuff your abdomen.
4. The images of your abdomen’s interior will be then displayed on the monitor with the help of the camera that is attached to the laparoscope.
5. Your surgeon with cautiously examine the disease and will operate on it accordingly.
6. Once the procedure is done, your incision will then be removed using bandages.
7. The entire surgical procedure ranges from one to two hours
Risks involved in laparoscopic ovarian cystectomy
1. The process has seen a great success rate but there are certain complications that might arise.
2. Ovarian cysts might return after the procedure is done.
3. In rare cases, the infection has the possibility to develop.
4. Organs like bladder or bowel have certain chances of being damaged.
5. Unbearable pain is another risk associated with this process.
What To Expect After The Surgery?
Once the surgery is completed, it is common that your navel or abdomen might hurt a bit or it might get sore. The first week after surgery can be exhausting but don’t worry, in no time, you will recover fast and can resume your normal life back. Make sure to consult your specialist for the detailed precautions as well.
Why Trust Us?
For more than 12 years, Dr. Renu has provided excellence in health care services for women. From handling your first week of pregnancy to healthily delivering your pregnancy, Dr. Renu’s clinic has been providing with the most advanced services through all your stages of life. Following her tradition of providing outstanding care to women’s health care, she has solely touched the lives of more than 10,000 women. That’s what has given her the name of a leading gynecologist.